Monday, December 6, 2010

Miracle on 34th Street


NYC's favorite little cinematic gem is a lot better in films than in person (Sarni claims that just walking into Macy's drains him of all will to live), but it's hard to deny that Macy's loves to do up the holidays.  I never catch the parades because I've become allergic to large crowds, but we stopped by to snap some cheery photos of Macy's, all dressed up for the holidays.  (You can see the lights reflected in the bus that inadvertently got in my way.)



I'd like to see that bus get in my way now!!



Every year, Macy's fills up its front windows with a creative new display, usually geared towards children.  This year's story was "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus."  (I should point out I had to tell the story to Sarni, poor culturally-confused Englishman that he is).  After graciously barging several young children out of the way, Sarni and I managed to get a semi-clear shot of one of the windows.



Frenetic, yes.  But heartwarming (in a kitschy sort of way)?  Always.

Herald Square.  On Canon Powershot.

2 comments:

  1. Once I saw these photos, I was instantly filed with joy (or is it consumerism?). There is something about Christmas lights, shiny display windows, and encouraging words like "Believe" that just makes me want to spend $$! O Christmas time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are Macy's ideal target, Rach! I think they're monitoring you for your "priority shopper" reactions as we speak.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...