Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Gi'O'er, Billy Elliot


Last night, Sarni and I went all Broadway.  We watched Billy Elliot, the Musical.  I had already seen Billy Elliot, the Movie several times (and adored it), so I had very high hopes for the musical version.

Although I was pretty bummed at first because I ended up sitting behind a person with the most enormous head ever.  I don't mean to be rude, but it was kind of like sitting behind Stewie Griffin from Family Guy.



Anyway, after I got over that issue (primarily by leaning inappropriately close to the girl next to me), Sarni and I ended up really enjoying Billy Elliot.  Personally, I have an odd fascination with the Thatcherite coal strike crisis in Northern England anyway (I just finished slogging through a 500-page tome called The Northern Clemency, which is based on that period).  And Sarni - well, Sarni liked the English police uniforms (see, e.g., the post from Halloween).  The musical really was very good - they did a great job translating the movie to the stage.  Although I did spend a large part of the first half wondering (i) where they found so many talented kids, (ii) why the kids' parents don't mind them swearing their heads off for the musical, and (iii) why the kids aren't in school.

Sarni and I spent much of the latter half very concerned that the actors were going to fall through a hole in the stage.  One of the stage mechanics malfunctioned, leaving a dented, half-filled hole in the middle of the stage.  I swear, when the little boy on the bicycle rode towards the hole at the end, I nearly passed out from the suspense of it all.  Never mind Maggie Thatcher, this is clearly where the action was at.


Broadway.  On Canon Powershot (and "borrowed" from the internet).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...