Thursday, February 24, 2011

Kaleidoscope Project On Location: The Other Coast


Strangely (or perhaps fittingly, given the cold weather in the Bay Area), we spent some time enjoying a sport I usually associate more with the Great White North.  (Or even New York.)

LB treated Sarni and me to a hockey game, the San Jose Sharks vs the Colorado Avalanche.  It was a lot of fun!  The Sharks won, and one of their players even scored a hat trick (prompting the crowd to hurl their hats at the ice).  Despite my notorious inability to understand any athletic rules, I showed my true Canadian grit by shouting in outrage at a particularly egregious case of high sticking.



Is it just me, or does the shark in the Sharks logo kind of look like Shamu?



Sarni clutches the trading cards he accidentally procured, thinking they were rugby tickets.  Beer and trading cards.  Doesn't get much more manly than this.



A visit to the West Coast wouldn't be complete without trying some of their cupcake action.  The verdict?  The cupcakes themselves were pretty good, but those little button decorations on top tasted like cardboard.  We're still not sure if maybe they were cardboard.




You guys, I was almost too lazy to look up the correct info for you, but then I was like, I don't want to disseminate false cupcake info on my blog!  So here it is - Sprinkles Cupcakes were started by two former investment bankers who made a ginormous career switch after pooh-poohing NYC's own cupcake juggernaut, Magnolia Bakery.  The first Sprinkles bakery is considered to be the world's first cupcake-only bakery.  Seriously, doesn't anyone else want to see a reality show showdown between the Cupcake Coasts?  Sprinkles versus Magnolia, no holds barred.  Winner takes (crumbs and) all.



Just before we left California, the sun decided to peek out.  I wasn't sure whether to be grateful or irritated, so I settled for grirritated.



Back at JFK, a sign appeared that I have never noticed before, right when I was beginning to miss the Golden State.  I was pleased, until a blast of freezing cold air hit me in the face.  But eh, you take the good with the bad, right?  Welcome to New York, indeed.


Bay Area.  On Canon Powershot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...