Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Modern-Day Marketplace


I love Whole Foods.  I mean, I don't love how crowded and stressful it can be shopping at a Whole Foods in Manhattan.  But I do love the smug "look-at-me-I'm-so-ecologically-responsible" feeling I get to flaunt when I shop there.  I love the proud eco-language splashed all over the place - "Organic!"  "Sustainable!"  "CAGE AND OPPRESSION FREE!"

Most of all, I love that it feels like a little market oasis in a very urban sea.  I spent an obscene amount of time hovering over the coffee beans, breathing in the heady coffee scent and occasionally sinking my fingers into the bags of coffee beans a la Amelie.  Finally, a store employee approached me.

Employee:  Um . . . can I help you?

Me:  Oh no, no thanks.  I'm just looking.

Employee:  [gazing skeptically at my hand, which was still sunk deep into the coffee beans]

Me:  And . . . uh . . . touching.

So I withdrew my coffee-scented hand and left the coffee section.  Hmph.  What's the point of having big, inviting bags of coffee beans if customers aren't allowed to contaminate them?



The cheese section, however, was another playground altogether.


Union Square.  On Canon Powershot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...